Wednesday 23 March 2011

Tute 1, part 5

On both my fieldwork placements last year IT was mainly as a data storage and sharing medium, which was quite heavily guarded. In my first placement a health in aging ward I only used the computer for ordering equipment and I was still watched by my supervisor. I was fine with this as I surely did not want to stumble onto something I shouldn't be viewing. In my second placement in a special needs school, the only IT I got to use was the computer used for educational programs for the children.
Within OT practice I think that IT is quite usable as a practice tool, if videoing is needed then consent is needed by the participant, and can be used to educate and 'socialize' people that may not be able to get out into society comfortably. Below is a link to a blog that sums it great.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_6805/is_6_71/ai_n31909080/

Ethical implications of captured images and information - everything that has been mentioned in tute 1, (yes I'm still on tute 1) acknowledgment of intellectual property, social justice and informed consent seem like really good places to me. If consideration for other peoples situation is taken into account then there shouldn't any problems.
I have always tried to get my children to think of the other persons point of view asking them "how would you feel in the situation"?  I think we all need to ask ourselves that question form time to time when we are able to create something with other peoples information, images etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment